Monday 6 July 2015

Alice Scott


Hi, my name is Alice and I am another member of The Room along with Jessica, Alison, Adam, Alexander, Nicholas, Claire and Chris, and I attend St. Andrew’s Church in Biggleswade. I have just finished my A Level exams at Stratton Upper School in English Literature, Biology and Chemistry and an AS in Philosophy and Ethics. Following The Room’s time in Africa, I hope to go to University to read Religious Studies and English Literature in September 2015.

We know that this experience will change our lives, but we can’t know how. This is both terrifying and exciting, but with the strength of faith and friendships that we have, we can be sustained in this unknown journey. We must and will embrace this opportunity with our whole selves. 

By travelling to rural South Africa and working with Hands at Work, we can make a difference. This is a not a difference on any grand scale, but by ‘turning up’ in places of hardship, the love and care of people can be made known to those who are isolated, struggling and feel abandoned.

I am humbled to have this opportunity and know that the experience will change me as a person, us as a group, our families and friends, and hopefully give the people we meet comfort. It is hard to reconcile our own lives with the lives of others in different areas of the world, so by taking this chance, I hope we will all have a greater appreciation of the diversity in the world, the inequalities that must be addressed, the changes that need to be made and the unity brought by faith.


It will be a challenge, but with grace and perseverance, I hope that we will bring hope to the communities we meet by showing care and compassion. I hope and pray that our presence will give all those we meet the knowledge and understanding of the care, hope and love we have to offer, strengthening faith in service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read our blog, any comments are much appreciated!